On
Thursday I received a call from the doctor’s office that we had 7 embryos, but
that they were lagging behind. 4 were at
what is called Compacting Morula stage which is the stage right before
blastocyst stage which is where they should’ve been yesterday, day 5. There were 3 that were also only at morula
stage (day 3) that I don’t believe will progress any farther. I was in complete shock and was so devastated
at this news. I was expecting 5-7 blasts
to send off for testing and by day 5 we didn’t have any blasts. .
They
told us that we could do a 5 day transfer but it would have to be TODAY. I’m at work, Joe is at work, and we are 2
hours away and have no idea if they could even get us in. I wasn’t anticipating this to happen at all
so I was just completely mortified and had no idea what to do. I called Joe who was at work which makes it
nearly impossible to get ahold him. I
finally decided to call his boss and tell him I needed Joe to call me as soon
as possible.
After
a very confusing and tear-filled discussion we decided our best bet was to
transfer 2 and let the other 5 try to catch up and still have them biopsied and
tested if any of them happened to make it.
At this point we have no idea what, if anything, our remaining 5 will
turn into. I am very hopeful that the 2
compacting morulas that we did not transfer will develop into blastocysts and
be biopsied for testing.
Once
we made the decision I called the doctor’s office back and they told me we had
to be there by 12:40 for a 1pm transfer.
It was already 9:45 and we have a 2 hour drive plus Joe was working an
hour away from home. Talk about
stress. I rushed home to change, rushed
to meet Joe, and rushed like crazy to get to the doctor’s office. We were a few minutes late but there was no
one else in the procedure area so I wasn’t too worried about it.
The
transfer went super smooth. It was
relatively painless, we got to watch the embryos be transferred on the TV
screen, and then I had to lay down for about 60 minutes. We made the drive home and I relaxed for the
rest of the night and was told I could resume my normal activity today.
For
as long as I’ve been on this journey, I know better than anything that there
are lots of twists and turns and unexpected things that can happen, but so far
this has probably been one of the biggest plot twists that we’ve had happen to
us. Everything about this cycle was
going so well, our numbers were looking so good; I never ever expected them to
say what they said to me on the phone yesterday. Now we just have to hope that at least one of
our two babes will make itself comfy for the next 9 months.
What
is supposed to be a time of excitement has just been stressful and heartbreaking. I had such high hopes for this cycle and now
I’m just so unsure of everything that is happening. I want to be hopeful and excited that these
embryos still have a lot of potential to develop & implant, but I just can’t
convince myself. With each cycle it gets
harder and harder to convince yourself that anything is going to work. If this cycle doesn’t work and we end up with
no other embryos then I don’t know what we will do or where we will go from
here. I know I shouldn’t even be
thinking that far in advance but it is impossible not to.
I
am going to try and take this for what it is, embrace the fact that we are
PUPO, and enjoy the Christmas celebrations during this dreaded TWW. At this time I cannot be that beacon of
positivity and optimism that I normally am because I am still just numb to
everything that happened yesterday, but I do have everything crossed that this
will finally be IT for us.







